Q: When should I contact a removal company?

A: As soon as you know you are going to be relocating, start contacting removal companies. Don’t leave this to the last minute. We advise you obtain at least three quotes from reputable removal firms – especially if your move involves logistical challenges, like moving personnel overseas or relocating your family abroad.

Q: What will I need to do before a removal company visits?

A: If you are having various company representatives visit your property or business premises to evaluate the move, make sure you are fully prepared. They will want to look everywhere; under the stairs, inside cupboards and even under your beds! Anything that needs to be moved with you must be put on your inventory form or shown to the company representatives. It’s very important that you ask the firms you are obtaining a quote from all the same questions and to do exactly the same things; if not then you will receive quotes that not only vary widely, but are for completely different jobs.

Q: What questions do I need to ask?

A: Ask your removal company as many questions as you can – after all you are entrusting these people with your prize possessions. Here’s a list of questions we recommend that you consider…

  • Liability. What Liability cover is offered? What is and what is not covered? Is there an excess?
  • Reputation. Ask about the company’s history.
  • How long have they been trading? Are there staff fully trained? What is their Quality policy? Do they have any references of past clients you can contact, and/ or testimonials you can view?
  • Logistics. Ask about the logistics of the move. What time will the van will arrive? What is the estimated time to finish loading up? How long will the move take? If your goods are not shipped immediately where will they be stored?
  • Security. Does the removals firm have 24hr security?
  • Storage. Does the firm have secure, temporary accommodation
  • Documentation. Ask your removal company about custom forms – will they handle this for you, and fill out all forms? Ask what restrictions the country you plan to move to have. Is the quote inclusive of all charges i.e. UK and destination port charges and destination customs and quarantine clearances? Will your electrical goods work in the country you plan to emigrate to?

Here are some questions any good removals firm will ask you:

  • Where are you moving to?
  • What are you moving?
  • What is the access like (for parking & getting furniture in)?
  • Do you have a date to move?
  • Are the new owners moving in on the same day?
  • If so what time do they require access at?
  • Do you require a packing service?
  • If not will you require cartons?
  • Do you require storage?

For People Moving Overseas

Q: Can I take my pets?

A: Check with the country you plan to live as each country will have its own quarantine regulations. There are a number of specialized pet carriers who will advice you on health checks, certificates and veterinary documentation. It’s worth visiting their premises beforehand so you feel comfortable with them and are able to ask any questions or queries you may have.

Q: Can I take my car?

A: Each country has different regulations and so can work out to be prohibitively expensive to export a vehicle abroad. However, some countries are less stringent and for classic or expensive cars, it may be your best option. If you are unsure, check with a specialist car shipper who will be able to give you a quote and more advice.

If you do take your car you must notify the DVLA if you are taking your car out of the country. If you are currently in possession of a V5 registration document, completing section C to show the intended date of export and a Certificate of Export (V561) is then issued by the Department instead of a V5 registration document to enable you to register your vehicle abroad. To obtain a Certificate of Export you will need to complete the appropriate section of your V5 registration document and either return it to Export Section, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea , SA99 1AG , or make the application at your nearest DVLA Local Office. However, you must remember to do this 14 days or more before export. If you are currently in possession of a V5C registration certificate, you will need to notify DVLA of export using the V5C/4 (notification of permanent export) slip from the V5C. You may then take the remainder of the V5C to the new country when the vehicle is being exported.

If you are not in possession of the V5 or V5C, you will need to apply for a V5C registration certificate using form V62 which is available at the Post Office or over the internet. When the V5C is then received, you should send the V5C/4 (notification of permanent export) slip to DVLA and take the remainder of the V5C to the new country to re-register.

For more information please visit the www.dvla.gov.uk and download their information leaflet.

Q: Are there any restrictions on what I can move?

A: Whilst you are packing, dispose of any items which may have restrictions on them in certain countries. Each country has different rules and restrictions so please check with the customs department of your destined country. However, most countries will not allow you to import the following:

Narcotics and drugs

Hazardous items i.e. fireworks, toxic or poisonous substances

Plants and vegetables

Alcohol (subject to duties). Check if your private wine collection will be allowed to go to your new home

Meats and meat products

Dried Flowers, bulbs and seeds (including pine cones).

Firearms, ammunition and explosives.

Weapons i.e. swords, knuckle-dusters, spears, flick knives.

Pornographic material

We can send you a comprehensive country profile and country by country customs regulation guidelines over the internet